The recent WTAP event An Afghan Anniversary: A Celebration for Families was a huge success. Thanks to the warm outpouring of support, this dinner raised nearly three times the average amount of previous cultural events. As a way to thank everyone involved, here is a recipe to the delicious tender lamb kebab made by Leave It To Elizabeth Catering. Enjoy!
Tender Lamb Kebab with Cinnamon
½ cup Greek yogurt
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. dried ground coriander
½ tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 lbs. lamb stew meat, cut into 2-inch chunks
2 large onions, peeled, sliced thin
- In a large bowl, mix yogurt, oil, garlic, coriander, pepper and salt and stir well.
- Add the lamb and onions and coat evenly with the yogurt mixture.
Cover and refrigerate at least one hour, preferably refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Take the lamb out of refrigerator 30 minutes before you are ready to cook. Put the lamb into large pot or Dutch oven and cover with a lid. Place in oven and cook until the lamb is very tender (about 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours).
- Remove the lid, stir, and continue to cook another 20 to 30 minutes until some of the liquid has reduced and you have a thick, oniony sauce.
- Sprinkle the meat lightly with cinnamon and serve with warm naan bread and plain yogurt.
Note: You can season the yogurt with a little salt and stir in grated cucumbers or chopped mint if you prefer. Serves 4