Family Bios: February 8, 2020

This Saturday, we will visit a family from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), who arrive in the US in July 2016.   The family includes the mother, daughter (age 7), and two sons (ages 3 and 18 months).  The mother grew up in the refugee camp in Uganda.  Her parents had left their village in 1998 due to all the political strife and civil wars throughout the country so the camp is all she has known.  She lived with her mother in the same apartment complex and now, because she is working full time at the beef processing factory, she has enough money to afford her own apartment.  She is very excited to begin setting up her home for her family.  Her 7-year-old is in 1st grade and loves school.  The 3-year-old and 18-month-old stay home with the mom or grandmother.

We will welcome another family from the DRC, who arrived in May of 2019.  The husband and wife left the DRC in 1998 due to the civil wars and dangerous living conditions and fled to Tanzania, living in a camp until they came to the US.  The husband works at Marshall’s in the packing area and the wife is at home often helping their daughter with her children.  They are so happy to be living close by their daughter and grandchildren.  They have a son who remains in the refugee camp and is in process of coming to the US to be with the rest of the family.

We will also welcome a 24-year old from Cuba.  Due to the economic and political constraints put on he and his family (parents and brothers) he wasn’t able to earn enough money to support his family and decided to leave Cuba.  He first went to Panama in March 2019 to begin his journey to the US.  He traveled by walking, hitchhiking and traversed very difficult land such as jungles, crossing large rivers and many other dangers along the way through Central America and then finally to the border of Mexico.  He was detained at the border of Mexico and had to wait 2-3 months to receive an interview to enter into Mexico.  Once he completed the process in Mexico, he then made his way to the US border and was detained in TX and IL for 5 months.  He has a cousin in AZ and was able to stay with his cousin briefly.  He’s currently working part time doing side jobs with a construction company and is hoping to find full time work.  He feels safe and happy in the US and is glad to be here setting up his life.